@ signs, #hashtags, and my overly dramatized life.

Monday, December 31, 2012

I've found true freedom.

I sat in a plastic chair and he defined true love. Simplicity and his shop teacher mustache convicted me.

Heartbreak feels like home to me now.

We we're standing in the road. Tangled in eachothers arms, laughing, when my heart chose you and my head battened down the hatches.

The snow melted quicker that spring.

I sat on the grass indian style and we prank called you and your friends.

I thought my recovery was miraculous.

I stood there dripping water on my grandma's bathroom floor texting J.P.K reverse. Old feelings flooded faster than the bathtub.

You promised to be my Prom date.

We sat close together in a slide tower and you asked me to ask you to stay. We kissed carelessly and your eyes always told the truth.

That summer melted innocence.

I stood in the kitchen and you say on the counter. Quesadilla's and comedy's. routines and orange rockstars. Couch cushion kisses and more memories than I can count.

We found refuge in each other.

I say on stone steps and held my phone to me ear. St. George to San Diego didn't feel so far. I cried and you told me we'd always have each other.

Holding my cousin changed meaning that November.

I stood outside your empty house and my heart long for yours like thirst longs for water.

I was naive, and hopeless hopeful.

We sat in the backseat and kissed in the tunnel. We lost track of all worries and I felt your heartbeat with mine. But I walked out of the Walgreens empty handed and you yelled at me for crying.

I made myself blind to it.

I stood alone. And I knew it was falling apart. We lost more than cell service, and you didn't ever climb a mountain to talk to me.

You kissed her, and threw it all away.

I sat on my bed. And called your phone. I held my head high and let years stream down my cheeks. I had seen in coming and waiting for it had been my choice.

Heartbreak makes death seem painless.

I struggled to stand while I was falling apart. My wrists became my refuge and I waited for my saving grace. I lost things and found things.

I'm never going back there.

It's been a journey. I've sat on my knees and hoped to the heavens. I stood in dark places and blamed you for putting me there. I've laid on sticky kitchen floors and waited for your forgiving approval. But being where I am now, I thank you. I leave you here, but I want to thank you for everything.

I stand now. On my own two feet. Stronger than I've ever been. My hearts taking its time but I'm not waiting. Its everywhere i've been that takes me where i'm going. The wind blows threw my long hair, and I never get enough sleep. And for once I'm happy with myself.

It takes getting everything you ever wanted and then losing it to know what true freedom is.





1 comment:

  1. "my wrists became my refuge and I waited for my saving grace." Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete