@ signs, #hashtags, and my overly dramatized life.

Monday, September 24, 2012

A question for John Reeder.

Am I Indie?

(The question is meant honestly, and answers are expected. I am in no way trying to offend anyone. Or call anyone out. I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just looking for an answer. The title comes with no malevolence intended, &can be changed if necessary.)









Does the fact that I am different instantly make me indie? Do my thrift store finds, and my collection of books win me that label? If I care about my blog, or write just because it makes me feel alive, should I feel abnormal? Where do I fit in..? The acoustic music in my playlist says indie, but my yoga pants and Nike socks don't..

Does my love of sports, love of cars, and love of Gatorade change peoples opinions? What about a guitar on my knee, and a paintbrush behind my ear? Can I like to sing along to Bon Iver covers, and rap along to Nikki Minaj? Does my puzzle piece fit anywhere? I keep all my clothes in the same closet, but can i wear my vintage skirt, and my football jersey with my grandma glasses and vans?

I don't know what I am!

Pencil skirts, and skate shoes. Singer/songwriter cafes, and season tickets. Heels and backpacks. Blue jeans and fake eyelashes. Chapstick and Mexican food. Broken dreams and brand new ideas.

I think;

I'm a contradiction.

An anti-indie.

And I wear my title proudly.

17 comments:

  1. Yes! That's what I'm talking about.

    This is real. Like realer than real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this. "If i care about my blog, or write just because it makes me feel alive, should I feel abnormal?" Stealing this for the journal write

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm i just realized something mabie no one is reading my blog(that would suck)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this made me rofl, no lol....like really though. I laughed out loud. (I'm talking about fluffernutter's comment, not the post itself.)

      Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat with this realization in my heart.

      Delete
    2. now your making me laugh i don that as well i just cant sleep till i see that one person has seen my new post.

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way. Let's be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful its the most incredible fact about all of us who try to do what we would like and say what we say and we do not fit into a class but people still classify us as if they are labeling us. this is gorgeous, incredible, and the purest truth thanks for finding the words to describe

    ReplyDelete